Monday, December 10, 2012

Week 4 Letter 12/10/12


Already a month through being here at the MTC! It has gone by really fast. Now I only have 29 days until I am leaving to Mexico! I am so excited to see the area and meet the people in Villahermosa!

I continue to learn so much everyday here. I have come to believe that there is no better place to study than here at the MTC. There is so much opportunity to continue to improve myself so that I am able to better help the people. We have two classes a day on most days. At first I was thinking that the two three hour classes would be a lot but I am really starting to appreciate them. Our teachers, Hermano Bruce and Hermano King are both great teachers especially in teaching us how we can best teach our investigators. They have helped me out so much over this month.

I have also learned so much Spanish over this month. It is crazy how fast we learn while we are hear at the MTC. We basically covered all I learned in high school over the first couple weeks and are almost done with all our cirriculum. This next week is our last week of learning Spanish. It will just be review after this week. I have already learned imperfect, future, conditional and even present subjunctive so far. I did not even know there was a subjunctive until I got here. I have really enjoyed using these new concepts and I can say a lot more of what I want to know in the language.

Teaching has been extremely fun for me so far! Elder Love and I have had three "investigators" so far. The first was Manuel. He was Hermano King's first investigator. We actually "baptized" him this week. It was fun, we held a baptismal service for him on Saturday. Now Hermano King is being Alvaro. Alvaro is a semi-pro soccer player in Chile which is perfect because Elder Love really loves soccer. Our first lesson was pretty hard with him but our second lesson went a lot better. Hopefully we will get him to continue to progress. Our last investigator is Luis. This is Hermano Bruce's investigator. He is the only one we have used a "member" with and it has been very helpful to us so far.

We had another district leave our zone this week. Now we are the second oldest district in our zone. There was only four elders that left. Elder Allen, Elder Pingree, Elder Tesch and Elder Martin. All of them were extremely fun to be around and I have missed them this week. The oldest district all just got their visas and they leave next week so we will soon be the oldest district. This is also a good sign because all of those visas were to Mexico so it is looking good for Elder Love and I. We continue to pray our hearts out for our visas. We might find out next week if we will get them or not.

We got some great news this week! Elder Lowe will be back before Friday! We as a district are overjoyed to see him. It is such a blessing that he will be able to come back so soon. I am so excited to get him back this week.

Sunday was again a fantastic day. We always get to learn so much. One of my favorite parts are the leadership meetings we have. It is such a great opportunity to talk about the members in the zone and help people through their difficulties. I hope that I can continue to strengthen my leadership skills so I can best help the members in my district. I finally feel I am figuring out all of my duties as the leader of our district. However, I have learned that the most important thing is to lead as Christ did and truly love and serve those that you lead. I have really focused on the Christlike attributes listed in Preach my Gospel to improve myself as a leader.

We also had an incredible fireside. The BYU Men's Choir came and sang for us. They were amazing. They sang a bunch of Christmas songs and two of the brothers in the Choir bore there testimonies about their missions. It was a very uplifting experience. Also most of the members of the choir or not music majors so maybe ill be singing in that choir in a couple of years!

Yesterday on our Sunday Walk we could not actually go onto the temple grounds which was a little disappointing but it was fine because I was able to see Elder Clement again before he left and get a picture with him! I am excited for him to go teach the people in Knoxville Tennessee.

This mission has been such a great experience and I am so happy that I am able to share it with all of you. The Book of Mormon truly does change lives. Read it and pray about it and you will know it is true. You will know that Joseph Smith was a prophet. However, most important is that you can become converted to Christ. Through this book you will come to now that Christ is our Savior and that through him we can be forgiven of all our sins. This is my testimony and I say these things in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Lightheart










Elder Lightheart and Elder Luke Clement (Jonny's friend from Medford)

1 comment:

  1. HEY MY ELDER: LOVE/LOVED THE PICS. THE HILIGHT FOR ME WAS ELDER LOWE WAS RETURNING SO SOON...PLEASE WRITE YOUR NEXT LETTER IN SPANISH. GRANDPA HAD A 2 AND 1/2 HOUR ZONE CONFERENCE HERE LAST NIGHT WITH THE TWO ELDER MICKELSENS. HE GAVE THEM SOME CHALLENGES CONCERNING LA IDIOMA. YOU AMAZE ME...GM

    ReplyDelete